Social media– anything from Twitter to Instagram to Tumblr– is a rapidly changing, ever-expanding network of interaction and broadcasting. Whether through written text or images, it seems everyone is constantly promoting personal details, business initiatives, hopes, and goals to a worldwide audience. But how can one strive to stand out among millions of users in such a vast, digitized medium? The following quotes will hopefully offer some inspiration to embrace social media for all that it’s worth.
1. “What is interesting is the power and the impact of social media… So we must try to use social media in a good way.” –Malala Yousafzai
Malala Yousafzai is an eighteen year-old Pakistani activist for women’s education, and the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. Naturally, she encourages us all to use social media as an effective outlet for bringing people together across cultures and countries.
2. “Social media is not just an activity; it is an investment of valuable time and resources. Surround yourself with people who not just support you and stay with you, but inform your thinking about ways to “wow” your online presence.” –Sean Gardner
Sean Gardner is perhaps one of the coolest yet little-known online celebrities: he’s worked with everyone from Apple Inc. to the Huffington Post, running multiple charity organizations and social media campaigns. His advice is simply to be active and engaged online, to create an audience as well as a community of supporters through the power of social media interaction.
3. “The Internet is becoming the town square for the global village of tomorrow.” –Bill Gates
Bill Gates caught on early to the immense popularity of the Internet, the sheer magnitude of social media marketing. The Microsoft co-founder and business mogul recognized that the web was a place for people to communicate and change the future of the world together.
4. “Social media is the ultimate equalizer. It gives a voice and a platform to anyone willing to engage.” –Amy Jo Martin
Amy Jo Martin is the founder and CEO of Digital Royalty, and bestselling author of Renegades Write the Rules. Her professional success has been achieved almost entirely due to her expertise on social media and digital marketing, so Martin surely knows a thing or two about how to harvest popularity on social media outlets.
5. “Technology is nothing. What’s important is that you have a faith in people, that they’re basically good and smart, and if you give them tools, they’ll do wonderful things with them.” –Steve Jobs
Steve Jobs is the man, the myth, and the legend behind Apple, Inc. He wasn’t exactly a social media guru in his lifetime, but his technological innovations helped create the wave we all still ride today: internet access, apps, social media, and email were all literally put in the pockets of people worldwide by Apple and its competitors. Jobs understood the importance of such tools for consolidating people, their ideas, and their potential for success on a worldwide level.